The St Lawrence County Historical Association Quarterly has been published steadily since the mid-1950s as a benefit of membership and an aid to research. It features original articles about people and events in the county written by a wide variety of professionals, amateurs, hobbyists, and collectors. At times material previously published but currently unfamiliar, such as found in old newspapers and magazines, is re-printed.
A publications committee composed of the SLCHA Executive Director, volunteers from the Board of Trustees, and community members, and guided by an editor in chief, selects the Quarterly's content, edits it, and supervises printing. The committee recruits items, receives volunteered items from readers, and sometimes writes its own items.
Writers wishing to publish an article in the Quarterly are invited to correspond with the SLCHA Publications Committee. Articles may be of any length under 7500 words. Text may be simple word-processor documents. No special formatting is required. Images should be submitted as separate .jpg or .tif documents with a smallest-side width of at least 300 pixels.
An index of content in the Quarterly is available online. It is also indexed by authors.
You can read the full text of any issue of the quarterly, 2005 and prior. Click on the underlined issue number in the indexes.
The St Lawrence County Historical Association is pleased to announce the receipt of a $1,000 grant from Corning Incorporated Foundation. The grant will support publication of their local history journal, the Quarterly. St Lawrence County Historical Association Executive Director, Sue Longshore, has said, “Words cannot describe the gratitude we have for the Corning Incorporated Foundation in acceptance of their $1,000 grant.” The Quarterly has published articles about the history of St Lawrence County and northern New York State since 1956. The Quarterly is published four times a year and distributed to nearly 800 members, including individuals, local businesses, schools, and public libraries.