St Lawrence County Historical Association

Collections Manager Position

The St Lawrence County Historical Association (SLCHA) is seeking a candidate to fill the open Collections Manager (CM) position. The CM reports to the Executive Director. Responsibilities include management of the SLCHA's artifact and archival collections, as well as oversight of public outreach efforts including both on- and off-site programs. A Bachelor's degree in history or related field required. Professional or volunteer experience in museum or special collections field preferred. More…

Remington Arts Festival

Hung Up, sketch by Frederic Remington

Frederic Remington and "Has" Rasbeck take on the Oswegatchie River in Hung Up, an illustration from Remington's article Black Water and Shallows. Find out what happened on this unforgettable journey from Cranberry Lake towards the St Lawrence River when Allen and Marilyn Splete present Remington on the Water: Cranberry Lake and the Oswegatchie River, at noon on Thursday, September 25th, 2014, at the St Lawrence County Historical Association. This Brown Bag Lunch program is part of the 13th Annual Remington Arts Festival and coincides with the opening of the exhibit Remington and Rasbeck Run the River.

(Hung Up, from the article Black Water and Shallows by Frederic Remington, originally published in Harper's New Monthly Magazine, August 1893; from the Richard Myers Collection at the SLCHA.)

Civil War Veterans

John Austin has contributed a database of Civil War veterans from St Lawrence County. It consists of information on some 6,800 people who served in the Civil War. These are 5 of the people in the database; you can visit and search the data.

  • Gebo, Peter - Born: 1835 in Franklin Co. NY; Son of Peter Gebo
    Enlisted from Canton in 60th NY Inf Co A as Pvt on Sep 9, 1861;
    Mustered out Oct. 29, 1864 (TC, AG, 1860, 1865)
  • Packard, Harlan P. - Born: June, 1845 in St. Lawrence Co.; Son of Hiram Packard and Caroline Dimmick
    Enlisted from Madrid in 50th NY Eng Co B as Pvt on Sep 5, 1864;
    Mustered out June 13, 1865 at Ft. Barry, VA. He attendedSt Lawrence Academy from 1862 until 1864 and lived in Pierrepont in 1865. He married Mary Wentworth Mar. 29, 1876. He lived in Redfield, SD in 1909, a place which he helped establish in 1881. He died May 23, 1923 in Minneapolis, MN (AG, 1850, 1865, newspaper, data)
  • Robinson, John Lorenzo - Born: 1836 in Morristown, NY; Son of John Robinson and Nancy Lee
    Enlisted from Morristown in 106th NY Inf Co B as Sgt on Aug 6, 1862;
    Mustered out June 22, 1865 near Washington, DC. He died Nov. 29, 1909 and is buried in Roseburg National Cemetery in Roseburg, OR. His middle name may be Lee (TC, AG, 1865, data)
  • Woodward, Lorenzo - Born: 1827 in Jefferson Co. NY;
    Enlisted from Gouverneur in 1st NY L Art Batt D as Pvt on Aug 31, 1864;
    Mustered out June 16, 1864 at Elmira, NY. He died in North Gouverneur Sep. 29, 1906 and is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Gouverneur. He is also listed in the Fowler TC record (TC, AG, 1860, 1865, 1890, cemetery, newspaper)
  • Houghton, Charles Henry - Born: Apr. 30, 1842 in Macomb, NY; Son of William P. Houghton and Eliza Ann Bentley
    Enlisted from Depeyster in 60th NY Inf Co B as 2nd Lt on Sep 10, 1861;
    Discharged Mar. 6, 1863. He then re-enlisted into the 14th NY H. Art. Co. L as a Captain and won the Medal of Honor for bravery at The Crater at Petersburg, VA in July 1864 and at Ft. Haskell, VA Mar. 25, 1865. He lost his right leg in the second action. He died Mar. 5, 1914 in Jersey City, NJ and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Lot 2411 Sec. 3 He is also listed in the 1865 census of Lisbon and Lisbon TC record (TC, AG, 1865, cemetery, data)

If a name appears in bold, the person died as a result of their service.

St Lawrence County War of 1812 History Trail

War of 1812 Historic SignThe War of 1812 happened right here in our own backyard in St Lawrence County, yet few people are aware of what happened and where. The War of 1812 Virtual Trail is meant to educate us about these important events that shaped our young nation.

Stroll through these sites online or - better yet - make a copy and enjoy a pleasant drive exploring where important events of the War of 1812 happened in St Lawrence County.

Visit the trail

Who are these Civil War officers?

We have located two stereo pairs of the officers of the New York 60th taken at Fauquier Sulphur Springs, Virginia during the Civil War. Some of the people in the picture have been identified. See enlargements of the faces and help us identify more people in the picture. See the picture and help us identify more people in it

Coming Events

Civil War Sesquicentennial

150 years ago this month:

  • Oct 4, 1864 - 106th NY (Sept 21, 1864) Battle of Opequon that occurred on 19 September casualties listed: 11 Killed or mortally wounded, 41 wounded, and 2 missing. Battle at Fisher Hill: 1 Officer killed, 2 men wounded
  • Oct 5, 1864 - Battle of Allatoona (Georgia)
  • Oct 9, 1864 - Battle of Tom's Brook (Virginia)
  • Oct 12, 1864 - 92nd NY In the battle of Chaffin's Farm: 13 killed or mortally wounded, 10 wounded, and 6 missing. As of 2 Oct, only 44 men present and one Commissioned officer. Lt George S. Thompson in command of regiment.
  • Oct 12, 1864 - Doctor WQ Mansfield, formerly Assistant Surgeon of the 92nd NY, was appointed Surgeon in Chief of the 2nd Brigade of the 18th Corps of the Army of the Potomac.
  • Oct 18, 1864 - Wide Awakes return for Lincoln in Norfolk, NY (a Republican party organization of young men)
  • Oct 19, 1864 - In the last draft call of 500,000 men, St Lawrence County was require to raise 1100 new recruits; 1700 stepped forward.
  • Oct 19, 1864 - Saint Albans, Vermont Raid, Confederate soldiers dressed in civilian clothes robbed banks in Saint Albans then escaped to Canada. Seven captured in US had $50,000 on them. Twelve captured in Canada were held in Montréal. A regiment of US Troops were stationed in Saint Albans after the raid.
  • Oct 19, 1864 - Cedar Creek, Virginia
  • Oct 19, 1864 - Cedar Creek, Virginia - 106th NY Infantry - 12 Killed, 40 wounded, 3 missing
  • Oct 19, 1864 - Cedar Creek, Virginia - 6th NY Heavy Artillery - 26 killed, 52 wounded 16 missing
  • Oct 19, 1864 - Battle of Cedar Creek (Virginia)
  • Oct 23, 1864 - Battle of Westport (Missouri)
  • Oct 26, 1864 - (dated 23 Oct 1864) 13 of the rebel raiders (of Saint Albans, Vermont) are in jail in Montréal, they are mostly young men from Kentucky. They insist that they are in rebel service and are confident that they will be released.
  • Oct 27, 1864 - Because Black Union POWs were used in the construction of rebel trenches, General Butler demanded that rebel POWs be used for the same tasks at Dutch Gap canal within rifle shot of the rebel troops. General Lee stopped this practice and sent black POWs back to Richmond. General Butler stopped his retaliation immediately.
  • Oct 27, 1864 - Darbytown Road, Virginia - through October 29
  • Oct 27, 1864 - Darbytown Road, Virginia - 142nd Infantry - 21 killed, 78 wounded, 3 missing
  • Oct 27, 1864 - Darbytown Road, Virginia - 92nd NY Infantry - (2nd Fair Oaks) 2 killed, 3 wounded, 26 missing
  • Oct 27, 1864 - Battle of Burgess' Mill/Boydron Plank Road (Virginia)

Events in bold are St Lawrence County events