Rushton Canoe Exhibit
|Boat Shop - Interior||Boat Shop - Exterior||Rigging a Canoe||Testing a Canoe||J Henry and Leah Pflaum Rushton|
|Click on an image to view a larger version and some explanatory text. Note that the images run about 36k and may take a few seconds to load|
The life and career of Canton boatbuilder J Henry Rushton will be the focus of a special display at the St Lawrence County Historical Association. The exhibit, entitled J Henry Rushton: The Stradivarius of the Canoe, at the SLCHA (3 East Main Street,Canton, New York.) runs through 2004. The exhibit is free and open to the public.
J Henry Rushton (1843-1906) built his first boat, a canoe, in 1873. By 1876, the first national mention of a Rushton boat appeared in Forest and Stream magazine. By the 1880s, Rushton's boats, canoes and paddles were on display at world's fairs and expos. Rushton's boat shop in Canton produced a large variety of watercraft from canoes and rowboats, to guideboats, skiffs, sailboats and even steam and motor boats. Some of Rushton's most famous canoes were his Nessmuk models - extremely small and lightweight craft so that one person could easily portage. Both a Nessmuk model canoe and a rowboat produced by Rushton will be on display at the SLCHA.
This is the inaugural exhibit in SLCHA's North Country Annex, a gallery which was constructed as part of the Red Barn Addition project to house exhibits on North Country industries.